> you haven't been injured, and no injury is at all funny, but I honestly think that
> to say a 12V potential caused it is madness.  Even a 24v (?) boat battery

In our workshop I have _seen_ tools physically welded to metal parts
when accidental  contact has been made between a positive source and
 a negative  ... we are talking on 12V and 24V (truck) systems only.  There
is alot of power in these batteries and no mild acid burn can possibly explain
the deep tissue swelling.

Shorts have also caused much damage to a cars computer system
and other electronics.

> When I don't have my multimeter handy, I test PP3s by sticking them on my
> tongue and judging the tingle, crude possibly stupid, but gives me a rough
> idea :-)

I'm _not_ an electrcian, I _don't_ profess to be an expert (too long since even
highschool physics)  so I don't know the potential of a car/truck battery,
but I guess no one would be game to stick their tongue accross the
terminals.  (anyone with a tongue that long, go see guiness book of
records).   If you can't use your tongue maybe just a wet handspan across
the terminals (thumb to little finger) ... any volunteers.  mmm?

And yes I do know what it's like to be subjected to a 240V, 10A shock,
(had an electrical appliance fall into a sink I was washing dishes in,
shorted everything and I found myself on the floor pretty damn fast !!! -
and counting my lucky stars I'm still alive after this NDE).

I have also seen a 4.5V mobile phone battery start a fire by shorting.
That was 650 mAh. ... surely a car battery is a lot stronger then that.

Bottom line is you shouldn't play with electricty ... either mains or
battery if you don't know what you are doing.

L8R   GC   (who's off for ultrasound this afternoon to see if it helps,
and shall be back on MD topic soon).