On Sunday I got a 20-pack of Memorex Cool MD's for $29.99 (+6% CT tax)
at Circuit City. They are made in Taiwan, and come in 4 plastic boxes
of 5 (actually capable of holding 6) MD's. They are colored and don't
have slip-cases. Pretty nice. I recorded a couple and so far there are
no problems. I think when BestBuy starts selling these they will be
even cheaper.

I have also seen (not a Circuit City) a rather funny-looking microphone
-- AIWA CM-P11:
http://www.aiwa.com/catalog99/models/CM-P11.html
It consists of two separate microphones (left and right) that could be
locked together if needed. For $24.99 (that's the price that I saw) it
might be a cheap alternative to binaural microphones.