>My understanding of it is that "0dB" is actually "infinity - 0dB", where
>"infinity" is the biggest number the recorder can handle (kinda like
>MAXINT).  If oo - 0dB on the CD is greater than oo - 0dB on the recorder,
>then clipping can happen.
>
>It is not supposed to happen, but it does appear to be happening.  The ~90
>other CDs I have copied with the same hardware sound fine.  Analog playback
>of the CD in question sounds fine.  An analog recording of the CD sounds
>fine.  Clipping only happens when I make a digital copy of that particular
>disc, and it happens with both Sony and Sharp recorders.

Whether it is possible to have some error like this, which I doubt - it
shouldn't manifest itself with dropouts, instead you would hear it as third
order harmonic distortion, this is what happens whenever you digitally peak
a signal, because the waves instantly become clipped at the "over" level
because the digital signal cannot cope.  This is why the display is "over"
and no higher.

While I'm at it, i remember someone mentioned that if they turned the
digital level up by even 0.1 it would clip, this is because in CD mastering,
the mastering engineer will use multiband compression (a system which
compresses separate frequency bands separately) to get the level right up to
OdB FS, thus when peope play their CD it will sound louder than others, as
well as getting a better signal to niose ratio on whatever you play it on.

Christopher Spalding
Genius, generally excellent and gifted person.