I'm about to take delivery of my Panasonic PT56WXF95 HDTV which I
partially funded by selling my TRV900. I will be buying at least one
replacement camcorder. As much as I criticized the Sony MD Discam for
not having an IEEE1394 Firewire Port and only offering 10 minutes worth
of MPEG2 quality video per disc, it is the clear front runner for it's
unique and creative editing possibilities. Thankfully it does have
S-Video output so images shot on this camcorder will probably appear
close to TRV900 quality. Mainly because you can only use the S-Video
output of either camcorder to show images on a television set, except
for special monitor types of television sets that have various
computer/VGA/SVGA, etc. inputs or of course IEEE1394 inputs. I know of
no consumer television that offers these. Anyway, what would defintely
give the MD Discam the first choice is the ability to shoot 16:9 images,
especially since the Panasonic is a 16:9 TV. I can't find this
information on the MD Diiscam website. Does anyone know if it will shoot
16:9 images? Further, it claims a 1/4 inch CCD with 680k pixels, 340k of
which are active. Why are half not active, what does this mean? Other
camcorders in the running are the ultra cool Sony DCR-PC100 (I really
like the style and I like the Nightshot feature and wish it were on the
Discam or the TRV900/PD100A even though in reality I probably wouldn't
use it much) the TRV900/PD100A or the Canon GL1.