From: "Steven Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Well, I've got a MZ-E40 for an excellent price (~$92 on Ebay) so I can't
> complain too much... it is my first minidisc portie.  But ideally, I would
> like to find a unit that doesn't skip as much, and munch both AA batteries
> in 1.5 hours. I've even dropped the thing, and it still works (Thank God.)
> As long as you don't mind holding it fairly still and buying batteries in
> bulk, it's an alright MD portie :)
> -spb

My old MZ-R3 manages about 1.5 - 2hrs playback on 650mAh NiCad AA
cells.  I guess using 900mAh cells would give about 2.5hrs and using
1200mAh NiMH should give 3.5hrs playback.  I must say it eats batteries
while recording, roughly twice the current drain of playback.  Since an
alkaline AA cell has about 2000mAh or a little more you may get 6 hours
playback or 3 hours recording (though the heavy drain the R3 makes
when recording will shorten the life).

Anyone who uses non-rechargables with their MD is mad.  Almost all
portable CD players have a recharge circuit for nicads.  I use the R3's
recharge circuit to charge my 650mAh nicads (2hr rate 350mA maximum
but I think it pumps them up a bit faster).  Yeah I use a bit of cardboard to
make it thinks its the official NiMH pack.

Personally I think this tendency to use "gumpack" proprietory batteries
is a total rip-off, when you can get 2AA nicads for under ukp3 (or ukp5
for 950mAh nicads).  For ukp7 you can get 2AA NiMH 1200mAh cells
so except for LiIon batteries (which need special charging circuitry or
they complain violently) I think we are being ripped off with gumpacks.

If I want long life on the move, I stick a handfull of nicad AAs in my pocket
and I can run my R3 from dawn till dusk :-)

Cheers,
PrinceGaz