on 99.12.24 1:42 PM, J. Coon at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I wonder if my ISP is putting me on with this news flash.  Since we get
> so much of the MD equipment from over there, I thought I would ask an
> international list about it.
>

> TOKYO, Japan (Wireless Flash) – Although December 25 is a religious
> holiday in much of the world, it has an altogether kinkier
> connotation in   Japan.
>
> According to Tokyo-based venture capitalist Kazuo Haga,
> December 25 in Japan is “Lovers’ Day,” a day when adulterous couples
> openly spend  “an enjoyable but very expensive night in a first-class
> hotel.” Haga says tradition dictates the male partner spend about $1000
> for a dinner and hotel and another $1000 on jewelry or designer goods.
> Women are expected to spend nearly $500 on a watch or gloves for  their
> lover.
> Amazingly, even though many of the lovers celebrating
> Lovers  Day are married to others, Haga says everything is out in the
> open and the Japanese don’t view it as adultery.

Yep that sound about right to me (if i remember) and don't forget that
traditional Christmas Cake!

They do celebrate holidays a bit differently, for example on valentine day
the girls make chocolate, to give to someone they like. and a month later on
March 4th (white day) the boys return the favor. strange eh?

tk