From: Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2000 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: MD: MP3 -- Am I the only one that hates it so?

> Dudes...  With the new Transmetta chip running at 700mhz on 1 watt
> of power, with 128 bits onboard...  We'll see realtime MP3 encoders that
> will fit in the palm of your hand VERY soon.  Hopefully someone will
> devise a new method of compressing audio which is better/faster/cheaper
> than MP3 soon...and is also license free.  Until then, MP3 rocks.  :-)
>
> --Floss

The StrongArm processor can already do this with ease, it's not processor
speed that os an issue! To get a good MP3 recording you need to have the
complete "song" already recorded, either on disk or into memory. If I want
to encode a 5 minute song, I already need that 5 minutes of audio recorded
for the encoder to use, regardless of how quick it can do it. If I was
recording at CD quality, I would need 50Mb of storage as a workspace!

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]