On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Magic wrote:

> The StrongArm processor can already do this with ease, it's not processor
> speed that os an issue! To get a good MP3 recording you need to have the
> complete "song" already recorded, either on disk or into memory. If I want
> to encode a 5 minute song, I already need that 5 minutes of audio recorded
> for the encoder to use, regardless of how quick it can do it. If I was
> recording at CD quality, I would need 50Mb of storage as a workspace!

        This isn't exaclty true...  I am on the LAME development team
(needless to say, I like MP3s :-P), so I know a bit about the guts of the
medium.  All you need is two or three frames) the data for one frame is
actually spread out over several frames, but as long as you have those
frames it is certainly possible.  The tough part (and I use the term
lightly :-P) is setting the header and the end bit..  but, all you need to
do is go back and set it once you're done encoding :-)  I think MD does
something similar, with the Table of Contents..  Not exactly the same, but
similar.
        Shoutcast does something very similar..it does realtime MP3
encoding (basicly).  It does weird things with the header/footer, but as I
said before, this is easy to circumvent.  Tootles!

        --Floss