> What the heck does "bit by bit copy" mean?

Check de.comp.audio for details.

With MD bit to bit copy is not possible, when you are recording, since MD
compresses music, but if you use your MD-recorder as A/D-converter, it could
be important.

Let's assume the following:

You have a song on a DAT-Tape (DAT does not compress) and you copy the song
to the PC as a wave-file, copy it back to DAT and then back to the PC as a
wave-file again, but with another name. If you compare both wave-files the
files should be identical bit-by-bit. With most cheap-soundcards this is not
possible.

The reason for the problem is that 44.1kHz signals have to be converted to
48kHz and back to 44.1kHz with "normal" soundcards, because soundcards works
with 48kHz internally. (I hope this is exact enough, what I wrote)

The question is, if you hear the difference.

Bert