[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > What the heck does "bit by bit copy" mean?
>
> Check de.comp.audio for details.
>
> With MD bit to bit copy is not possible, when you are recording, since MD
> compresses music, but if you use your MD-recorder as A/D-converter, it could
> be important.
>
> Let's assume the following:
>
> You have a song on a DAT-Tape (DAT does not compress) and you copy the song
> to the PC as a wave-file, copy it back to DAT and then back to the PC as a
> wave-file again, but with another name. If you compare both wave-files the
> files should be identical bit-by-bit. With most cheap-soundcards this is not
> possible.
>
> The reason for the problem is that 44.1kHz signals have to be converted to
> 48kHz and back to 44.1kHz with "normal" soundcards, because soundcards works
> with 48kHz internally. (I hope this is exact enough, what I wrote)
>
> The question is, if you hear the difference.
>
> Bert

May I add to that, that some soundcards like the SBLive!, always amplify
the digital signal. I mean, they multiply it with a certain factor (Your
input mixer setting). This means that it is never possible (even with a
48kHz source) to do a bit by bit copy!

Cheers,
Ralph
Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE