Jim Gray asked,

| What type of timer works with these Sony decks?  Is it a special model
| you buy from Sony?  Surely it's not a kitchen timer that cuts the power
| on, since the deck has to be powered the whole time it's on standby.

Surely it is, for it does not.  The deck does not have to be powered; it
retains the settings in RAM on an internal battery for as much as a week or
two.  A regular appliance timer will work.  However, get one that is digi-
tally settable, for the dials of analog timers are too imprecise.

(Actually, an analog lamp timer might work for timer play if not for timer
 recording, if your purpose is to make an empty house sound as if people were
 at home.)

| What model, make, price, where does one get a timer as described?

That depends on what retailers serve your area.  Radio Shack sells a twenty-
four-hour, one-event model and a seven-day, six-event model.  I have two of
the latter, one for my JE500 and one for my JE520, whose analog inputs are
connected to two different radios.  (On Sunday mornings I record programs
from two stations at the same time.)