Hi,

        I'm interested (as will be surely Sony deck units owners) in
interfacing with a S-Link bus with my PC.

        I prefer S-Link to IR because that implies that the computer must
be near the Hi-Fi components, and aiming to them. I think also S-Link is
the way to go, at least with Sony.

        I find the CAV from sony to be a lot expensive, and I'm not
interested in the software that it carries (I don't use windows). Nirvis
device seems to be amazing, and clearly overhaul Sony's one, but I don't
need so much features that raises up the price to Sony's.

I only want to control my Sony CDP-CX57 CD Changer (51 CDs), and will
probably buy a 200 unit somewhere in the future. I Have a Sony MDS-JA20ES
minidisc deck unit also, and my interest come from there.

I use it both to record compilations from the CX-57 and MP3, and MD
recordings to the PC. I was looking for a Serial to S-Link interface in
order to could achieve (with programs developed by me, probably perl/GTK)
this:

        CD:             PC interface, exploiting CDDB and CD-Index
        CD->MD:         Automaticly title MD name and tracks from CDDB
        MP3->MD:        Automaticly title MD tracks trom mp3 tags
        MD->PC:         Automaticly name sound files

        So I need the device to come along with programming (from the
computer serial side) specifications.

        I've been surfin' the net and have found several very interesting
sites, like http://tim-trolinger.dynip.com/personal/discjockey-myslink.HTM
or http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~orn/jukebox/.

But I want to hear from the MD community first :)

        I promise I'll do a summary of this for www.minidisc.org if of
interest.

        Thanks in advance,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org