On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Norman, Dustin wrote:

        Hi!

> > I mean, you title a position on the CD caroussel, not the CD
> > itself. When
> > you replace it, the position remains titled; the exception are CD-TEXT
> > CDs, but I have seen only 3 of them in my whole life, and oh-no,
> > they're not text copyable to MD.
>
> I agree with this too.  The Sony MD Editor 2 software that came with the
> MDS-PC2 does allow you to control Sony changers (that support S-Link of
> course) for the purpose of copying to MD.  I have two changers (a 200-disc
> and 300-disc) but I have not tried the feature yet (my computer is not in
> the same room as my stereo and I don't feel like moving my changers).

        I wonder what's the maximum working cable length for Slink.
Do the CAV act as a terminal device? I mean, it can't be hooked between
two slink components surely isn't it?

> However, I am pretty sure that if you have a Control-A1II compatible MD deck
> and CD player that it will copy the CD-TEXT info onto the MD during a copy.
> Again, I haven't tried it yet (because I don't have very many CD-TEXT
> encoded CD's) but I think that it is possible.

        Hehe... try to copy it. Most are CD-TEXT copy protected; I have
only two CD-TEXT CDs, Vonda Shepard "Ally MCBeal's" and Bruce Springsteen
"18 Tracks" (this one is a HDCD), both original. None of the two
could be *text* copied, neither copying the whole disc or one track, try
it. I guess this will happen with almost all...

> >     Did you see the S-Link resources listed on
> > http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~orn/jukebox/ or
> > http://www.brian-patti.com/s-link/ ? They're a good starting point
> > about Slink in general there are some pointers to the sony interface
> > also...

> When I first got the idea to do this project, I setup up a port monitor and
> ran the MD Editor 2 program and received the results I expected.  A lot of
> the commands sent via the interface were similar (if not exact) to commands
> listed on the S-Link pages that I had seen.  I just need to sit down and
> figure out exactly what all of the commands are.

        Good luck. I guess your main problem won't be guessing SLink
commands, as they're almost the same that you can obtain with a
IR-trainer, but the PC-CAV interfacing itself, or is it transparent?

> >     It will be also great if you later share the info you discover
> > with the community; I see the minidisc community much like
> > the OpenSource
> > one, with the exception on S-Link programming/hardware :)

> If all goes well, I intend to do exactly this.  What I would like to do is
> build libraries that others can use to write software to interface via
> S-Link... similar to what Nirvis is doing but without the hardware (I am not
> much of a hardware design person... just software) and without cost to the
> end user.

        Great! :) I'll do that also if I can put my hands over a hardware
device, although they will be mostly command-line perl based scripts at
first (that can run on almost any *nix, Win32 and even Mac or BeOS
machines if somebody happens to do a port of the Device::SerialPort perl
module).

        greets!

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org