> IS ONLY A HALF-BAKED SOLUTION. BEING A DJ I KNOW HOW FRUSTRATING THIS CAN
> BE, HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF MIXED CDS!!!!! NO 2 SECOND MARKER IS GOING TO
> WORK FOR THAT BECAUSE DAHHHHH IT SPLITS THE MUSIC UP WHICH ON A MIXED CD
> (I.E. NO GAPS BETWEEN TRACKS ONLY MARKERS) THIS WILL NOT WORK, AND IF YOU
> PUT IN 2 SECOND GAPS IT RUINS THE MUSIC. HOW CAN I TRANSFER DIGITALLY
> WITHOUT RUINING THE MIXED MUSIC(NO 2 SECOND GAPS), AND INSERTING TRACK
> MARKERS?????

We don't care if you rant, but if you do rant, don't shout. Please.

That aside, you have to appreciate the technical side of this. Current
consumer sound cards will not send track marks because a sound card is only
designed to take the input from the application and pump it out to a format
other equipment will understand. No sound card will know the difference
between a music track to the sound of rockets whooshing past you in Quake.
That's not the job of the sound card.

Most current drivers are designed to pump out only the "essential" bits to
an S/PDIF stream - the sound data. A notable exception is the newer Yamaha
YMF744 drivers, which will also transmit SCMS. Of course, if a sound card
is able to transmit SCMS bits it will probably be able to transmit track
marks. However, this will probably involve writing directly to the sound
chipset (writing track marks to the sound device will probably NOT work) -
which is not a good thing to do unless if you're a driver. So this will
probably mean modification of the drivers.

Yamaha, Aureal, and Creative will probably not give up the specs to their
flagship chipsets without a fight - or at least a messy NDA (which usually
involves $$$$). The most likely candidate for this kind of development
would be the Trident 4DWave chipsets, as they ARE willing to give away the
specs without any messy legal stuff. However, you either need a) driver
source or b) to rewrite the drivers.

Interestingly, the easiest way you would do any of this would be to
implement it under Linux. Aureal and Creative have open source Linux
drivers (although they have no specs and Aureal uses a weird abstraction
layer), and Trident 4Dwave drivers exist for the ALSA project. Potentially
you can create a device under /dev/snd in ALSA which, when written to, will
create track marks?

(This is conceptual stuff, guys. Don't flame me.)

Barring that, the best you can do is to look at the track times on the
playlist and fastforward in pause mode (relatively quick) to that point and
mark a track. Sorry.

That or you can beg
{Aureal|Creative|Yamaha|Xitel|Trident|Guillemot|TurtleBeach|Videologic|Hoontech|insert_sound_chipset_or_card_manufacturer_or_reseller,_vendor_,or_supplier_name_here}
for drivers that insert trackmarks.

- Ed.