Hi all, thought that subject line would get your attention! :o)

I'm recording a musical performance in a large church over the next few
weeks and I'm coming up against a few problems. First of all, let me run
through the equipment. We have a Tascam DA-P1 DAT unit, which I love -
wonderful machine. As a backup recorder I have my R55. Mics are a problem -
we have one Sony PSM-437 mic which gives a reasonable sound, except for one
quite loud problem..... hiss. I wondered if anyone had any techniques that
may help me to reduce the hiss from this mic.

The performers consist of:
    a choir - 24 people
    a bass guitar (which I'm also playing - tricky eh?)
    a lead guitar (which I play when I'm not playing bass)
    an electronic mandolin on some songs but not all
    a cello
    a 12 string semi-acoustic guitar
    2 flutes (on some numbers only)
    1 rather loud but very cool church pipe organ which fills most of the
back of the church

Any tips much appreciated. I can get the overall balance right (I need to
boost the bass frequencies post-production but that's about all) but I am
having trouble with the hiss. If I take the treble down I lose the hiss, but
also muffle the sound a bit....

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]