On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Martin Schiff wrote:

        Hi,

> Could it be that the mike is not getting enough power? When my battery gets
> low in my battery box with my AT853 mikes, there is a lot of hiss. When I
> replace the battery, they are very quiet. Is the mike plugged into the mike
> input of your R55, or is it coming from a mixer? Other than that, you may
> need a different mike.

        Maybe a battery box would help? I assume you're using a short mic
cable, is that the case? If you're using a long unbalanced cable, you can
take lot of noise...

Excerpt from original post:

>> wonderful machine. As a backup recorder I have my R55. Mics are a
>> problem - we have one Sony PSM-437 mic which gives a reasonable sound,
>> except for one quite loud problem..... hiss. I wondered if anyone had
>> any techniques that may help me to reduce the hiss from this mic.

        greets,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org