Hi,

        I have managed to convince somebody that needs a device to record
classes that the way to go is minidisc, with the plus of being able to
have a great device to listen to music also. (She was thinking on a
mini-cassette recorder).

        I have looked for models available here (Spain) at a reasonable
price (i.e. below $280) with the classes recording in mind. Here's what
I've found and the conclusions I've drawn, please correct me if I've
missed some point, or want to suggest me alternatives.

Sharp MT-20: The cheapest one (about $240) but lacks lots of
functionalities, one of them the time-stamping function that I think is a
must for classes recordings.

Sharp MS-701: I have heard they have TOC errors. Don't have time-stamping
function either. Another anoyance common to Sharp for this kind of
duties: adjusting level while recording produces blanks...

Sharp MS-722: It seems to be a very popular unit (I see lots of
info and hacks for it) but exceeds price, plus the above limitations.

Sony MZ-R35: I think $280 for this (old?) unit is too much; I couldn't
find any info on it, also...

Aiwa AMF65: (same as the 70 but without LCD on remote) It's just in the
price top, but does time-stamping, mono recording, 2x playback, and levels
are adjustable while recording. It seems one can't title while recording,
but I guess the ones mentioned above can't title also, and I guess
time-stamping is even handier...

All F70 reviews I've read rate it as an overall good recorder also, so I
think this is the best bet. I've had it in my hands but I found it not
very rugged, any experiences? suggestions?

The Sony R50/55 etc. largely exceeds the price limit, at least here...

        thanks in advance,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org