That's the mp3 player, not the country singer.  I don't know what came over
me, but I went out and bought a Rio player at Comp USA today.  Well, I do
know what came over me, and if you must know, I subconsciously thought that a
new gadget would soothe the problems in my love life.  Anywho, I was not very
impressed.  I bought the thing because it is the only player out there that
uses Smartmedia flash cards instead of the more popular compact flash.  I
already had a couple of these cards on hand for my digital camera.  The card
needed to be formatted to be used in the Rio, so I formatted.  I tried to put
several tracks from the free internet-only album by the greatest band on
earth, Self (www.dreamworksrecords.com/self).  However, little Mr. Rio told
me that the files were "first generation copies" and could not be placed on
the player.  Rubbish, I say!  The tracks were meant to be freely
distributed!!  When I finally got a different track recorded, I was also none
too impressed with the sound.  And the volume was absolutley pitiful.  I'm
returning the Rio tommorrow (grumbling all the way about CompUSA's 15% open
box charge).  But you wanna know the best part?  The $99 Smartmedia card I
formatted is now pemanently unusable in anything other than a Rio player, a
fact that the instructions failed to mention.  Wonderful, n'est-ce pas?  I
sent a letter to Diamond tech support and am eagerly awaiting to see what
there reply will be.  If the words "new smartmedia card" are not included, I
am going to be ROYALLY pissed off.  The moral of this story? Stick to
minidisc, and bash Diamond execs with sticks if you ever see them.

Gary