Ok, here's a creative guess (and only a guess)
But, I'm willing to bet there may be something wrong with the
motor, that's spinning the drive, and consequently not properly
filling the ram buffer.  It's trying to play back as best it can
but if the disc isn't spinning properly (at most angles) it's
getting stuck.  Howerver due to the design of the unit (ok, it's
starting to get deep) at the one angle you've found it to work
fine in, has the md, and the motor at a neutral balance point for all
the hardware that makes up the unit, and is the one position it plays
properly, since there is less resistance for the motor to spin
the disk against.

Alright, you asked for creative, you get creative...

Seriously, I'm ballparking this one because of problems I've had
in the past with portable cd players that are on their last legs (and
a Sony Playstation that only works properly if its inverted (don't ask
I just about flipped (no pun intended) when I was told that would fix
the problem)).

If this is the case, you're gonna definitely want to return the unit for
another one.

good luck

-Jeffrey

--
The day MS makes something that doesn't suck
will be the day they start making vacuum cleaners.