[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Shawn Lin wrote:
>
> I have been told the opposite by several alleged Nakamichi Dragon owners
> that said their cheap MDS-JE510 decks sounded better.
>
> Go figure.
>
> Shawn
>
> I really find it impossible that any cassette deck, no matter how expensive
> could sound as good as a decent MD recorder.

A hi-end cassette deck will record something in the range from 10Hz-22kHz. It
will
leave nothing out. Off-course you'll need to use high-end tapes. A normal Chrome
tape doesn't have the frequency response to handle the signal.

Thus it is possible to record a CD with the same fidelity as the original on
tape.
This isn't possible with MD since MD compresses. Note that we're talking about
a high-dollar setup. You'll need a high-end CD player to.
Note also the differences between the analog and the digital domain and the
problems
related to going from one to another.

> What do the people who claim that there tape decks "sound better" really
> mean??  There is a big difference between the faithful reproduction of audio
> and they way something sounds.  Many people still prefer the sound of vinyl
> to CD.  From a technical stand point, vinyl can never come close to the
> fidelity of a CD.

Vinyl has the same advantage as tape. It is analog.

> But how something sounds is a subjective matter.  For example, think of all
> of the different brands of the same food.  Most people prefer one over the
> others.  That doesn't mean it tastes better.  It is an individual subjective
> human observation.

However, and that's where digital media's shine, all analog media loose there
information when they age. In a digital world, that doesn't happen.
Another problem with analog media is the necessity to keep the tape/lp spinning
with a constant speed. This is very difficult to achieve.

A PLL clock that drives a DAC/ADC, is however very easy to build and therefore
it opens the possibility to produce low-end CD/MD players that sound almost as
good as a high-end CD/MD player.

In the analog world however, you have to spend 'big-money' in order to achieve
high quality.

Cheers,
Ralph -> Long live MD!

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE