"Shawn R. Lin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>However, I find it very hard to believe that the Sony's D/A converter
>>is *so* much worse that it accounts for 100% of the obvious
>>differences in sound quality.
>
>Certainly the DAC makes a difference!  If it didn't, audio companies
>wouldn't bother selling external DACs.  In fact, the price of a good
>high-end DAC is often 5-digits!  The reason my Sony CDX-C90 car stereo
>cost so much was due to its quad 20-bit Burr-Brown DACs and several
>different digital filters.  It costs $1200, yet it has no fancy color
>display or even a built-in amp.

Yep, I'm very familiar with DACs (and their price ranges ;-)). I'm amazed
that people pay $12,000 for a Mark Levinson DAC when that's many times
the cost of my whole system! My feelings in this case, however, are that
the DAC in a $250 CD player and the DAC in a $350 MD player aren't
sufficiently different in quality to explain 100% of the sound quality
differences in the comparison with all other components being equal.
That's all I'm saying.