I think it's unlikely for a number of reasons.

1.  Even as popular as MD is right now, the idea of what it is hasn't
exactly sunk in for the public. Now, because the 650MB disc is not
compatible with anything in existence, there's going to be a lot of
confusion involving "which disc is which".

There are cost involved in creating new equipment - if you want them to be
capable of old and new MD formats it takes extra effort. Marketing (letting
people know what this new audio format really is), and possibly new
production facilities also cost money. I personally think Sony would give
memory stick a bigger budget over this in any way.

2.  MD data is in fact struggling. It's only in a few products, and notice
that Sony has never pushed it like they're pushing for memory stick now.

3.  Right now there are several other magneto-optical data recording formats
either in development or already launched.  Sony's joint venture with Sharp
has created a 1/2GB storage medium that has a 50.8mm diameter (MD = 64mm).
With this format in development, maybe Sony is already thinking about
phasing out MD data altogether. Fujitsu, IBM, Pioneer, Philips and TDK have
agreed to back up this format.
http://www.world.sony.com/JP/News/Press/200003/00-0323/

I think Sanyo and someone else is also developing a similar high-capacity
format.

Leon