"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> Does anyone get the feel that the market support for MD is reaching a very
> critical juncture? Panasonic has declared MD a competitor format and will
> have nothing to do with it, touting their MP3/solidstate portables as the
> future of audio. What does Sony stand to gain by retaining legal ownership
> of the MD disc patents/rights and the MD logo vs. what they stand to lose if
> the format doesn't catch on in the next 2yrs or so in the US/Canada/much of
> Europe? I'm just concerned over this possible replay of Betamax...may the
> best format lose as it were...

Locally, MD has already gone the way of Betamax!  Best Buy has all but
eliminated all their MD displays, Circuit City never had it.  So sad,
back in '98, it looked like MD was really taking off, as Best Buy had
started reselling MD prerecs and had an aisle dedicated to MD.  Sears
and Service Merchandise also had a lot of MD stuff.  Now... not so
much.  I guess that means there isn't much hope of MD ever showing up in
mainstream places like Big K-Mart and Wal-Mart.

As much as I'd like to see MD become as successful as CD and DVD, I
don't think it'll happen unless the idea guys at Sony/Sharp/etc find a
better way to get MP3 integrated with MD.  Why MP3?  It seems to be all
the rage, and could be something that really helps MD go main stream.

Oh well, as long as I can still mail order blanks and equipment, I'd be
happy even if I were the last MD user on the planet.

Shawn