Roger [to whom I am also sending a direct copy, because apparently he is on
 the digest-mode distribution] asked,

| I need to know if I can hook up a MD deck to my SB Live
| soundcard (it has SPDIF in/out) digitally, is there such a cable to
| purchase?

There are three kinds of interfaces for S/PDIF.  My guess is that the sound-
card's end is coaxial.  If the MD deck has coaxial digital output, just con-
nect a single (preferably video grade) RCA-type cable between them.  If the
MD deck's digital output is TOSlink (or if it is an optical minijack, but
I've never heard of that on a deck), you'll need an optical-to-electrical
converter between it and the soundcard, plus whatever kind of optical cable
will connect the MD deck to the converter (probably TOSlink-to-TOSlink) and
a coaxial cable to go from the converter to the soundcard..