On Thu, 11 May 2000, Roger wrote:

        Hiya,

> I didn't really get my questions answered--can anyone on this thing help
> me?  I want to use my computer burner to make CD's of my personal MD
> mixes.  I need to know if I can hook up a MD deck to my SB Live
> soundcard (it has SPDIF in/out) digitally, is there such a cable to
> purchase?

        A simple 75 Ohm video stereo minijack to 2xRCA will do. You
could also buy two 75 Ohm RCA video cables and use a 2 RCA to stereo
minijack adaptor, or even solder it from parts yourself. The tip of the
stereo minijack is usually digital output, and the ring digital input.

> will do I don't want to have to buy a whole deck if it's not possible

        That depends really on your soundcard capabilities (i.e. drivers).
I guess it should...

> doesn't have have digital out)--this takes forever and I don't think the
> quality's retained) or too complicated.  My next question, if it is indeed

        Although you go digital, is gonna last the same to transfer, mind
you. You're right: quality isn't retained. Going digital has also a plus:
you don't have to worry about levels: you put the digital in to 100%
always.

> possible, is whether or not there's software out there that can
> automatically record my track marks (as I'm ripping the tracks from the
> MD onto computer for burning) so that when I burn it to CD, I have the

        I dunno, maybe there's some plugin for winamp, that uses 2sec
blanks to divide tracks to HD. You can also go with automation, check
www.minidisc.org and www.insflug.org/slink if you're thinking on a Sony
deck.

> same tracks on the burned CD (don't care about titles)?  Somebody please
> help me, if you've ever burned CD's like this.

        I did, but under Linux. And I didn't care about track marks, they
were live recordings, so I simply dumped them to HD, and later used
xcdrdao to put some index marks and pregaps here and there. And CD/track
titles also, if your recorder support CD-Text...

        hope it helps,

--
Francisco J. Montilla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>