Stainless Steel Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>* "Aston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Fri, 12 May 2000 | I'm
>>looking for an amp or receiver with digital (optical) input, so I can
>>| plug my MD player (and my computer) into it. Any suggestions on a
>>good one | for $300-400? I've done some research into the Sony line
>>and the STR-DE835 | looks good, but what other brands are out there
>>that have optical ins?

There aren't very many good quality receivers with digital-in at that
price range.

As an alternative, you could get a very good NAD amp/receiver for around
$300-$400, and then get an external D/A converter like the AMC DAC8 for
$100. This will sound far, far better than the Sony you mentioned.

The NAD 712 (receiver) is around $300-$350
<http://www.audiofx.com/NAD/712.htm>

The NAD 340 (integrated amp) is about the same price (more power with no
tuner)
<http://NADelectronics.com/Reviews/C340-0100.html>

The AMC DAC:
<http://www.audioadvisor.com/product.cfm?productid=15>

Rat wrote:
>I'd recomend looking at Onkyo receivers if you are going to stay with
>consumer grade equipment.

Good bet.

>If you want to take a step up, the NAD T760 is a good buy. It has two
>RCA inputs and one TOSLink input. Cost is about $850. Sounds
>significantly better than my old Pioneer receiver.

I second that, if you must have an integrated with digital in. The extra
money now will bring you a lot more enjoyment over the years than if you
went with a Sony, Pioneer, etc.