* "Aston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Sun, 14 May 2000
| Thanks for the tip.  I'm tempted now to get a NAD T760 -- I can look at
| it as a lasting investment --

Yep.  But at least listen to it first before buying.

| but will I be able to hear the difference between it and a Sony STR-DE835
| if I only have a pair of PSB Alphas and will be listening to mostly
| 256kbit MP3s?  (With my sound card hooked up through optical cable, of
| course.)

Absolutely no question about it.  My old speakers were Radio Shack AV-7
speakers, RF shielded versions of the Minimus 7.  The difference between my
old Pioneer VSX-403 and the new T760 was absolutely incredible.  An
excelent amplifier can make even mediocre speakers sound good.  The T760
qualifies; Sony never does.

Don't get me wrong.  Sony makes some reasonably good stuff.  But comparing
the DE853 with the T760 is like comparing Radio Shack's best speakers to
your PSBs.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover