> I have a question for Windoze gurus.  Can I turn off file locking on
> a file?  On occasion, I'd love to start playing the files I record
> before the recording is finished but the file is locked until the
> recording is finished.

As far as I know this cannot be done ... it's all down to the software
that's doing the recording.

It's easy easy easy to write an application that can just create a file and
write into it such that other applications are still able to load it.
If you can't start playing the file, because it's still being recorded into,
then I guess they didn't write their application very well.

But as far as I know there's nothing you can do about it, except maybe
petition them to enable shared-read access to the file ...

dave