Richard Huggins asked,

| I don't understand, I guess. I have two desktop MD components and one
| player-only. So I'm in the dark about end search. But...are you all saying
| that if your recording portable is in the STOPPED position, it STILL will
| overwrite material if RECORD is pressed?

Yes, that's what happens.  If you have stopped (not paused but stopped) the
recorder and press RECORD without first pressing END SEARCH, you overwrite
from where you stopped playing.  If you have just inserted a non-blank disc
and not played anything nor fast-forwarded, and you press RECORD without
first pressing END SEARCH, you overwrite from the beginning of track 1.  That
is contrary to the operation of other manufacturers' recorders, Sony's decks,
and recording devices for all other disc media, such as floppies and hard
disks for computers.

It's not just a matter of destroying recordings when you should press END
SEARCH but forget to: it's also a matter of destroying them when you WOULDN'T
press it.  Two examples:

1. It was the MZ-R55, I think, about which several owners reported that it
   would spontaneously start recording when nobody was touching it.  You
   could not safely leave an unprotected disc in it without pressing END
   SEARCH when you were done.

2. Once I was doing some editing on my MZ-R3.  When I was done and wanted to
   eject the edited disc, my finger slipped and I slid REC instead of EJECT
   (putting them next to each other and having them operate in the same di-
   rection was another bad design choice), so the R3 started to record silent
   input over the material following my last edit.  When I related the inci-
   dent on this list, one lover of manual end search flamed me for not having
   the sense to write-protect a disc whose material was valuable.  He didn't
   say how to edit a write-protected disc or nor how to protect a disc after
   editing it without ejecting it first, and I didn't ask.

In both cases, who would think of pressing the END SEARCH button?  The manu-
als say only to press it before recording new material into the open space on
a non-empty disc with nothing about pressing it before putting the recorder
down or before ejecting a disc.  Note that in both cases -- spontaneous unat-
tended recording or accidentally sliding RECORD instead of EJECT -- a unit
with automatic end searching would not have destroyed existing data.