I'm not sure of what part of the boonies you are living in, but here in NYC
i can't remember the last time I was searched at a show. But, I still
occasionally have to conceal my gear. I own a Sony R5-St (the portable that
mounts to a station) and I take the portable unit and plug in a dummy pair
of headphones that contain a pair of Audio technica 851 mics in each ear,
facing foward - not inwards! For construction purposes the larger the can,
the better, the whole project should not take more than 1/2 an hour. I
actually based my design on a microphone concealed in a pair of working
headphones. It was used for a private investigative agency I used to do
office wok for. There was a switch near the 1/8"mm jack that let you switch
operation and polarity from the headphones to microphon, as they plugged
into a standard cassette walkman with one secret button (RECORD)!!! I would
not reccomend this for musical recordings but rather for recording a
conversation you are involved with.
     Anyway I, like 95% of the rest of the the city male/female, carries a
backpack/messenger bag/purse containing a personal music device (I have
noticed a rapidly growing number of MD users on the subway and the retailers
of MD gear has gone from questionable shops on Canal st. to most of the
major and minir music shops in the city.) So at a show, all I have to do is
leave out my full-size headphones before entering and if anyone asks (which
they never do) my MiniDisc doesn't record. Keeping a bag with a stash pocket
in it with you is a good way to smuggle things past security.
    If this does not work, if you have a stereo pair of mini-mics you can
embed them into the shoulder(s) of an old army surplus jacket covering them
with those shoulder straps (epatulets? i think...) and aim them using your
mic technique of choice X/Y etc. Get comfortable and stand veeeerrrry,
veeeerrry,  still...

    Good luck and happy recording.

    Aqualangs