On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:40:35 +0100 (BST), [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  I've been researching which portable recorder to buy for ages now. I plan

>  to use it for sampling ambient natural sound (pretension alert?!). I need

>  a unit which has both manual and automatic gain recording, which can
>  also be level-adjusted whilst recording. This rules out all sony machines

>  I think (I'm a prime candidate for losing stuff because of end-search,
any
>  way) and it looks as if the Aiwa f70 and f80 models are the only ones
>  which can do this (plus I love the jog-dial feature).

Well I've got an Aiwa F65 portable (identical to the F70, 'cept it's not
backlit), and have been well pleased with it. All the problems I've heard
from people with the main issues on other manufacturers kit, has made me
glad I chose this model.

>  BUt..
>  ..I've read lots of scary reports about them developing problems where
>  they suddenly start erasing disc content.

As I said, my F65, is to all intents and purposes, identical to the F70, and
I've had no problems whatsoever. Can't comment on the F75 / F80, 'cept to
say they don't feel quite as robust as the F65 / F70, but that really is a
pick-up-and-look interpretation.

>  Obviously this is A Bad Thing.
>  Admittedly, there doesn't seem to be a machine which is reported as
>  fault-free, but I was just wondering whether anyone on this list has had
>  experiences of this. Does the F80 model address any of these problems?
>  Most of the posts to this site seem to be from Sharp and Sony
>  owners..maybe there's a good reason for this?!

Most Aiwa owners I've come across have been pretty darned satisfied with
their portable. There's always gonna be exceptions, but I don't think you'll
be dissappointed with regards to function or performance. Nor do I think
they are lacking in quality compared with Sharp or Sony units.

>  Aiwa owners! PLease give me a good reason to buy one of these!

As I said, never had a moments trouble with it.

Neil