No, the Sonys don't have to be paused first.  You can switch to either
HIgh or Low mike sensitivity on the fly.  While it is a quantum leap in
the level instead of an incremental change, it still does allow some
control without pausing the recorder.

Sean Buckingham wrote:

> > AFAIK, the SOny portables are the only ones with both automatic and
> > manual record level settings.  Contrary to what you have heard, the
> > Sonys do have a level adjust whilst (did I spell that right?)
> > recording.
>
> Sorry, I meant to say "level adjust without having to pause first".. I'm
> fairly positive the Aiwa's can be manually adjusted whilst recording,
> and they have AGC as well.
>
> (i hope!)
>
> SeanB

> end
>
> Sean Buckingham
> Media Services
> Brunel University, UK
> * (Ext)    2209
> * (Direct) 0208 891 8264
> * (e-1)    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> * (e-2)    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways