This probably doesn't apply to you Matt, but a company called CPC in the UK
are selling batteries for all MD players at a "discounted" price at present.
Li-Ion 702 batteries are 20 quid, the rest are between 14 and 23 quid.

If you want contact details, send me an e-mail and I'll send you their phone
number.  As far as I know they don't have a website.

Ian