Eric Woudenberg wrote:

> Stainless Steel Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > No.  If you could take two Sony MZ-R1 units and put an ATRAC 4.5 ASIC in
> > one of them, and record something on a Sharp MS-722, and play that disc
> > back in both Sony units, both Sony units will sound identical.  The ATRAC
> > version in the player has no effect on playback quality.
> >
> > Differences in playback arise primarilly from differences in ATRAC tuning.
>
> It is my understanding that the numerical accuracy of the decode side
> of ATRAC has improved over the years. It is still possible that you
> are correct, in that the changes may be near the limit of audibility.

Hi,

BTW, does anybody know why ATRAC Version 1 sounded so bad (though not for me!)
and why ATRAC Version 2 has improved a lot?

Another BTW: on eBay, there are really nice pictures about the Sony DKR-700
Digital Still Recorder and the Sony DPA-300 Digital Still Recorder, both old, I
know.

see  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=392004386
and  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=392008506

I thought they are nice for the MDCP archive!

wolfgang