Peter Forest wrote:

> I'm maybe a Minidisc Seller, but I'm before and above all, a minidisc FAN
> !!! I love music since I'm young... Before the minidisc, I was recording on
> cassette because it was the only way to have exactly the music I want... I
> was doing mix after mix on METAL cassette... It was great, but as you know
> cassette is boring... You have to rewind, fast, play and tape get weak and
> sound is poor... What a mess !

Not only that, but metal tapes were very damaging to tape heads and while they
improved sound quality in some areas, they had their own unique problems in
others.

> When CDR was release, I've try it to make music mix, but it was really
> complicated, I scrap a lot of CDR, it was a pain in the a.

To this day, with improvements in both hardware and software, I still find
myself throwing out CDRs because something went wrong.  You know that something
is wrong when HP replaces (after originally replacing the 7200e with another
7200e) their 7200e CD writer for a 7500.  Actually they originally sent me an
8100i, but I contacted them and told them that they made a mistake, the tech
realized what he had done and replaced it with the 7500e.  I don't think that
the 8100 was available in an external version.

They did this over the phone without ever making me show a proof of purchase
date.  But their Tech support is not an 800 number and the call cost me about
$30.00 (he spend a real long time trying to "walk me through", hoping it was a
software problem.  No go.

But it has gotten better then it was and at least a CDR is only fifty cents
now.  I even got some 80 minute CDRs for fifty cents each (in over priced Sears
of all places), but I think it was a one shot deal.

> .. And I discover
> the Minidisc !!!! It was wonderful... It was really expensive but it was
> great for my mix !!! Hey, I paid $10 by minidisc at first...

That was cheap.  You smut have come in a little later in the game.  MDs were
only made by Sony in the beginning.  they listed for about $17 each (and were on
back order form Sony for months)

I managed to get 10 from a friend who manages a retail store for $140.00 and I
thought I get a great deal.

> And my first
> Minidisc Recorder Deck cost me $800 !!!

I paid (again from the same friend who special ordered all of the stuff) $540.00
for the MZ-1 portable recorder.

> It was awful !!! (at least there was
> a portable minidisc player included with the bundle and 2 blanks Sony MD...
> WOW !!! What a deal !). Now, this deck is left in my studio and I never used
> it except for party with friend...

The MZ-l came with one 60 minute MD.  It turns out as most people on the list
know, that it it doesn't cost any more to make a 74 minute MD even though they
originally sold for a few dollars less).  But Sony originally was having
problems with the 74 minute format, so that 60s were born.

> At first, I use to do analog mixes with my CDs and Friends's CD... Sound was
> better than Metal Cassette, it was enough for me.... After, I discover when
> purchasing my MS-702 unit from Sharp that it was possible to record
> digitally !!! It was great... After I bought another portable unit the
> MS-722 and a Sony CD player with a MD Optical link... Let me tell you that I
> borrow all my Friends CDs and all the Library CD to make a lot of cool mixes
> on Minidiscs !!!

I had an old high end Pioneer 6 disc changer (still have it, but it sucks). I
bought it way before the MD came out, but it has both TOSlink and coaxial
outputs.  When I bout it, I thought, "there was a feature I'd never use".  It
cost me $40 for my first TOSlink to mini optical cable.  It is real thin even
though it is made by Sony.

> And yesterday, what a Discovery for me (not for you all but it was wonderful
> for me !). Before I used to browse the net to find some great MP3 songs...
> It was long, boring and really often all link was in realty broken links...
> So a lot of frustations... I have decided to give up... Until yesterday
> night !!! I've downloaded Napster and I have to admit : It's Great !!!
>
> All the song from the '70, '80 and '90 for FREE !!! It's INCREDIBLE !!!
>
> And with My Xitel Optical Soundcard, I can record directly digitally in my
> Sharp MS-722 unit !!! It's great !!! My dreams came true !!!
>
> I can now do all my mixes in nearly digital quality... Of course it's not
> like a CD optical recording but since it's free, I will never complain about
> it !!!

Napster is great.  I don't know if there really are hoards of people "stealing"
complete brand new CDs.  But I use it because I can't find the songs I'm looking
for.  Aside from rock, things like old Ray Charles.  I don't think that it is
fair to have to purchase 100 CD to get 100 songs!!  That's 900 songs or so that
you have thrown your money out on.

> Minidisc : what a great invention !!!

No question about it the MD is great. But I'll bet that even thought they have
been out much less time, there have been more CD writers sold then MD units.
For one thing HP seems to be packaging them in all but the lowest end computers
that they sell.

I think that one problem is that Sony is a conflicted company.  One the one had
they were the pioneers of support for home taping.  That was when they were
strictly an electronics and media company.  All of a sudden they are the
producers of the music and films.  Suddenly they are faced with a dilemma.

Larry