Larry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The thing that may not equate in your explanation of SCMS is that all MDs
> will allow you to make one original copy from an existing original
> prerecorded CD.  In general CDs are not encoded.  The MD becomes encoded
> when it is recorded (preventing you from making a digital second copy from
> your original copy of the MD). ...

In general commercial CDs *are* SCMS encoded, but the way SCMS works is
that you can make as many copies of the master as you like -- you can't
make copies of copies.  The original poster didn't say, but if he was
trying to copy a CD that was itself a copy (say, a CD-R copy of a
commercial CD), then SCMS would get in the way of further copies.

> If this list gave out rewards for unselfish, highly informative
> contributors, you would certainly be one of the recipients.

<blush> Thanks for the very kind words -- I try to help when I can.

Len Moskowitz             Stealth Microphones (tm), Cables, Interfaces
Core Sound                http://www.stealthmicrophones.com
Teaneck, New Jersey       http://www.core-sound.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912