Nathan White wrote:

> Your crazy!!
>
> Nate.  I'm very disappointed in you.  I would never expect such a response
> from a fine gentle man like you (I'm dyslexic and almost typed gentile-God
> would that have it the fan if I didn't catch my typo<ROTFLMAO>.

While I agree with you that he should not be hearing any difference, that
doesn't mean he is crazy.  But something is obviously wrong with his testing
methods.

The only way to verify his statements would be to use a double blind study.  And
also not to point out to anyone that they should expect to hear any difference
in sound quality.   I have a feeling that he violated both of his testing rules
here.

The placebo effect can be very potent.  My undergraduate degree is in
Pharmacology so I am constantly checking up on new media.  Especially any that I
may have to take.  Sometimes the listed side effects from the placebo will
actually show a larger number of responses then the real medication!

It is too bad that Mark lives so far from me.  I would love to hear this (in at
least a blind study if not double blind).  If he wants to send me copies of his
discs let him e mail me personally and I will conduct at least a blind study-but
there are people on the list with far superior systems then mine and that might
make for sense.

I have been trying to factor in the analog matter since I almost always record
only digitally.  But I don't think that should make a difference.  The signal
delivered to the MD is digital no matter what.

Different CD players and MD recorders, and specifically DACs and ADCs can make a
difference.  But he claims that his only variable is the discs.  The signal from
a CD using the analog line out goes into the recorder as an analog signal and is
converted to a digital ATRAC signal.  This is in turn converted to an analog
signal again.

I don't see anywhere in the loop with all things being equal except the disc
that could make a difference there.  It doesn't matter whether you feed in an
analog signal or PCM, the format delivered to the MD is still going to be the
same (of course the analog has more potential for distortion-but that is a whole
other topic.)

I really don't believe that in a true double blind study anyone could hear the
difference.

Larry