Timothy Stockman wrote,

S> To get the level correct [after silencing one channel], the
S> digital record level would have to be set at +6 dB ...

S> Recording mono from digital would require a similar proceedure ...

That would work on a recorder with digital gain adjustment.  It could not
always be done on the PC beforehand, as the signal may not have that much
headroom; in fact, it should not.  Also, 10^.6 is not exactly 2.

S> Also, most
S> listeners are much more tolerant of a very stable phase error such as this.

To the ear it's undetectable.  We've gone without noticing for eight years,
haven't we?

S> Meantime, I'll be eagerly awaiting word on which Sony decks have this
S> problem, and if (or when) Sony has it fixed for good!

It also affects my MDS-W1 and my Aiwa AM-F70.  I should imagine that it does
not affect my MZ-R3, because its manual says that in mono mode the right
channel of digital input is ignored and only the left channel is recorded (it
mixes the two channels of analog input in mono mode), but I really ought to
test it to be sure.

Jonathan Irwin wrote,

I> If there is an audio editor in the chain, why not fix the problem directly
I> by doing a phase shift of one sample in the editor?

Well, I tried that last night.  It was baffling.  The CD track peaked at
100%.  It was mono and both channels peaked together.  A mono copy to the W1
peaked at 99.9% and one to the F70 at 99.8%.  Then I tried lopping off one
sample from the introductory silence, and I checked the resulting .wavs, so I
know I did that step right.

Lopping off one sample from the left, which if I read Jonathan's findings
correctly should have aggravated the problem, and recording in mono to the W1
resulted in a peak at 99.1%.  Leaving the left channel intact but lopping off
a sample from the right instead, which if I read Jonathan's findings properly
should have tricked the W1 into matching correctly, resulted in a peak of
98.5%!

I should try it on the R3, which I've been reluctant to use because of its
old ATRAC version, but we ought to see what happens.