At 8/20/00 8:56 PM, las increased the world's knowledge by typing:

>But there were records around.  All they had to do was buy the record which
>was cheaper than the prerecorded tape to begin with and make a copy of the
>record.  This is exactly the analogy that you are making between the CD and
>the prerecorded tape.

But recording a record to a tape was _much_ more hassle than recording a
CD to a MD. You had to have a decent record player and pretty good tape
recorder. Then you had to make sure you had a tape that was long enough.
You also had to make sure that one side of a record could fit on one side
of the tape. Then you had to make sure that you weren't attempting to
record on the tape leader. And finally, you had to start recording the
tape and playing the record at the same time--no easy feat. And that was
just one side that you just recorded. Now you have to flip the tape AND
record and do it again.

With MD all you have to do is plug the optical plug into the portable MD
(if you don't have a preconnected deck setup.), push play/pause on the CD
player, push record on the MD, then push pause on the CD player to start
the recording. Then just sit back and wait for it to finish.

In the process, you wind up with tracks premarked, sometimes (rarely)
tracks already named, and a (almost) exact digital duplicate of the
original. Compare this to the less than perfect copy of an LP that you
were guaranteed to get.

(Why do I get the feeling that I just missed the point?)