On Thu, 07 Sep 2000 20:18:44 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  "J. Coon" wrote:
>
>  OK.  I'm going to try and end this discussion now.  I have said all along
that there
>  should be a royalty fee paid to download "quality" MP3s from the net.

Surely that fee should be for anything copyrighted, that the copyright owner
wishes to charge for. Individual, or greater perception of "quality" is
subjective anyway - and it's not anyone else's call. You don't have any
inalienable rights to other peoples' copyrighted material - if you don't
like the price for it, then don't get it.

>  I stand by that position.  I don't think that they average person
downloading stuff is
>  thinking to him/herself, "Hey I'm stealing this stuff and getting way
with it.  Isn't
>  that great?"

Different people have differing opinions of their anecdotal evidence on
this.

Regardless of the intent, in general, people are still obtaining copyright
material, against (I would imagine) the terms to which such copyright
material is bound.

>  We have a system in place for recording off of TV and radio.

To a certain degree, copyright still applys. However domestic use is
considered "time-shifting" - it would almost certainly be a different matter
should you attempt (and be noticed) to be selling, distributing, or
otherwise broadcasting such recordings.

>  Now we have a new
>  technology and we need a way to incorporate it into the system.

The existence of a new technology, and a general desire by many to
capitalise, and get something that's not theirs', for free, should not
overwrite the rights of those that produce copyrighted material.

>  Regards (and still friends I hope),

Oh of course. Healthy debate is not something I equate to dislike. If
everybody agreed it'd be a damned boring world (IMHO of course!).

Neil