James T. Resinger" wrote:

> I think I was prematurely enthusiastic about the sound quality of LP4.
> I still think it's pretty good, but I recorded some music that was a
> little more subtle--and demanding--than the orchestral music I used
> initially to test LP4. I recorded a song from THE BILL EVANS ALBUM,
> and I noticed that the piano sound was somewhat muddy and occasionally
> gritty in places.

Funny, one of the tests I made in my hotel room where I reported the LP4
problems was Bill Evans, Live from the Village Vanguard.

I have done some more tests.  Piano is difficult for LP4.  Also, material
that has a lot of phase information, like the beginning of "Brown Eyed Girl"
by Van Morrison.  "The Prophets Song" by Queen, which has a passage that is a
ping pong like stereo round, going radically from left channel to right
channel with little background to mask noise, created some huge artifacts.
Almost like pops.  Other material sounds pretty good.  It is really source
dependant.  I might use it for some mindless Pop material that I like to
carry for light hearted listening, and delete any tracks that screw up.
Eventually I think I will have to try it for a few months to know if it is
going to be acceptable.  A 320 minute disc is a real space saver, so I think
it will be worth the effort.

>It's certainly
>good enough for airchecks, which was the primary reason for my
>enthusiasm. If you want a long mix for background music, LP4 will
>definitely suffice.

I agree with Jim's comments.  I did some ambient recording, walking around
town and recording a meeting with a cheap stereo microphone.  LP4 did a fine
job with this and would be great for recording lectures or meetings.

LP2 sounds fine, but I haven't done a real critical test yet.

Regards,

Leland