=======================BEGIN QUOTE==============================
I still think LP4 is pretty damned good, but the quality will depend
in large part on the type of music one is recording. It's certainly
good enough for airchecks, which was the primary reason for my
enthusiasm. If you want a long mix for background music, LP4 will
definitely suffice.
=======================END QUOTE================================

As far as MDLP goes, I would regard LP2 as being useful for any situation
where quality is desired but it may be desired to achieve a long playing
time, such as longer personal music mixes, "sound-catching" where good
stereo separation is desired and "cart machine" jingle use.

LP4 may be suitable for obtaining "warts and all" airchecks of long radio
broadcasts such as entire announcer shifts (announcer samplers, station
output samplers, station logs); recording background music for places like
shops and restaurants were sound quality doesn't matter (think Muzak);
recording meetings and lectures; and archiving speech-based tapes such as
cassette ministry tapes.

The regular ATRAC1 modes come in handy where quality or compatibility with
legacy MD equipment is desired. For example, they can be used for MD-based
mastering.

With regards,

Simon Mackay