Larry wrote,

S> But it is much more likely the the Sharp will still be working 3 years
S> from now.  You'll be one of the lucky one's if the Sony is.

My R3 after 4 1/2 years and my JE500 and E40 after nearly four years are
kenahorra still working, but let's not talk about the JE510s I went through.

Richard wrote,

L> But I'm not too keen on some boozed person wiping all my MDs with a touch
L> of two buttons or re-titling my favourite MD "Get it down ya!" !!

Perhaps you should bring a portable player to those parties instead of your
520.  Also, open the discs' write-protects: the extra trouble to eject the
discs, close the write-protects, and reinsert the discs might be just what
keeps a joker from trying anything.  It certainly will make it take more work
than just touching two buttons.

Finally, with a 520 you can clone the TOCs to scratch discs that you leave at
home; if someone screws around with deletions or titles, you can restore the
original information as soon as you get home.