Scenario: JE-500, recording from analog source with MD in "mono" mode.
Also, the analog source is panned to the left, because it's a soundtrack
with instruments on left and voices on right (I wanted only the
instruments).

    As I'm previewing the source in rec. mode in order to set the rec.
level, the output control of the mixer through which it's playing is in
"unity" position knob-wise. I adjust the rec-in control on the MD until I'm
peaking at 0 but not over. Then I start the actual recording, and again
observe a lot of peaking near 0 (like I want), even in one very brief moment
a clipping.

    When all is over, I go back to see how that brief clip sounds, but
instead, I see very little playback anywhere in the song over -4! My
playback level is not what I want, but I don't understand why the rec. level
looked so different from the playback level, or how I can compensate for the
differences if I have to.

    Given the scenario, can someone explain what might be the reason for
this? Thanks.

Richard Huggins