Richard Huggins wrote,

|    Scenario: JE-500, recording from analog source with MD in "mono" mode.
| Also, the analog source is panned to the left, because it's a soundtrack
| with instruments on left and voices on right (I wanted only the
| instruments).

So you're leaving the right-channel cable disconnected, I gather, and the
right-channel input is silent.

|     As I'm previewing the source in rec. mode in order to set the rec.
| level, the output control of the mixer through which it's playing is in
| "unity" position knob-wise. I adjust the rec-in control on the MD until I'm
| peaking at 0 but not over. Then I start the actual recording, and again
| observe a lot of peaking near 0 (like I want), even in one very brief moment
| a clipping.

All of which shows in the left channel's meter, while the right channel
registers silence.

|     When all is over, I go back to see how that brief clip sounds, but
| instead, I see very little playback anywhere in the song over -4!

|     Given the scenario, can someone explain what might be the reason for
| this? Thanks.

Well, yes.  The monauralizing algorithm is averaging the sound in the left
channel with the silence in the right channel and coming up with a softer
rendition of the left channel.  Generally, cutting the sound power in half
is equivalent a drop of approximately six decibels.

| My playback level is not what I want, but I don't understand why the rec.
| level looked so different from the playback level, or how I can compensate
| for the differences if I have to.

Since we don't know for sure what the sequence is in the JE500 of the mon-
auralizing mixer, the application of gain adjustment, and the ADC, I don't
want to suggest turning the gain up even higher and ignoring the meters.  If
the order is gain adjustment, ADC, monauralization, that will cause clipping.

My only advice not involving a computer is to combine the channels (the left
channel of the soundtrack and a silent right channel) outside the JE500 and
feed the JE500 two channels that both carry the left channel of the sound-
track, which it can record in mono.  There may be some volume loss in spread-
ing one channel over two, but with two equal input channels you can compen-
sate by turning up the recording level on the JE500, knowing that clipping on
the meters means clipping on the recording.

Otherwise, you can rip the soundtrack to your hard drive, mute the right
channel in a sound editor, convert the left channel to a mono recording, nor-
malize to peak at 0 dB, and burn via a stereo cable while the JE500 records
in mono mode.  Actually, that is the same advice, because it combines the
channels before they reach the JE500.