[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have used Sony 100V adapters in the US (my voltage is 120) for years with
> no problems.  The R-90 has the ability to detect higher than appropriate DC
> voltage (it should give the "Hi DC in" error message).  So I doubt that is
> the problem.

The average voltage in the US is supposed to be 117 volts.  That's 17% higher
than what is supposed to be used.  I strongly advise people against using a
Japanese Domestic unit in the US or Canada without a stepdown transformer.

You my have had no problems.  But maybe you were just lucky (if you owned Sony
products in general that didn't give you problems that's a miracle).  I use a
step down transformer with any JD units I have.  Sony usually uses 4.5 volt
transformers, so you can buy an inexpensive replacement if you don't want to use
a stepdown.

When I sold MD, we always included the transformer.  If yo wanted to by one
separately we made a profit on it.  But included with the unit, we sold it for
what our cost was).

Sharp has you by the short hairs.  Their units call for 5 volt transformers.
Since the voltage of transformers is usually based on battery combinations (1.5,
3, 4.5, 6, 9 and 12) any manufacture calling for a 5 volt transformer is really
sticking it to you.  You usually can't find an inexpensive one.

Now to further confuse things, Sharp's car adapters are 4.5 volts, but will not
charge their batteries.  I just don't get it.

A word of caution.  Make sure that the transformer you get not only has the same
voltage, but has a mAh rating at least as high as the original.  Not lower.

Since the voltage varies in different parts of the country, a person living in
an area were the voltage is 110 or less might be able to get away with it for a
while.  But the guy who lives in the 120 area is going to have problems sooner
or later.

I know my Denon portable (Sharp MS200 clone) will not work without a stepdown
transformer).  You get an error message on the LCD saying "Power?"

Larry