[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> There have been many reports of Sharp based units being very demanding about
> having the exact power supplied to them.  My voltage is 120 (measured with a
> DVM at the wall).

> Can you think why my R-90 or R-900 wouldn't give the "Hi
> DC in" error message they are capable of if the voltage is really a problem?
> It seems to me, the manufacturer would only put this kind of message in if
> they were able to detect when the voltage would cause damage.

Why should they?  If you use a unit designed to work with a 100 volt transformer,
it will void the warranty if you use 120 volts.  The company doesn't have to honor
the warranty.  It's your problem.

Why will a Sony work and a Sharp will not?  Two possible reasons.  The first is
that Sharp simply wants you to get the most out of your unit and doesn't want to
take chances (my faith in Sony is that strong).  The other may be the  same reason
you can over clock an Intel process but would be taking a chance doing it with an
AMD.  The intel has a greater tolerance.  They just  don't specifically make 500
HZ processors and 550 HZ processors for example.

They set specific requirements for each to be labeled as such.  If a process can
meet Intel's specifications with regard to temperature, etc. then it will be
labeled a 550, other wise it is lower.  Intel's specs are tighter than AMD's.
They might say that in order to receive a 550 designation, the processors
temperature can not exceed say 100 degrees.  While AMD will allow 130.

But why would anyone who just spent $400 on a unit (MD) be willing to take a
chance over a $20 stepdown transformer?

> Anyway, I suppose I haven't really put it to a rigorous test.  I usually use
> an offline charger for the batteries.  Since getting the R-900 however, I
> have recorded about 45 hours worth of material in the last 2 weeks using the
> 100V adapter and have not noticed any problems, no error messages, unit stays
> stone cold (LP2 recording runs cooler as one might expect, 2 x the time for
> heat to dissapate).  Do you really think there might be long term effects?

Leland, I don't sell these things any more, so there is nothing in it for me.  I
personally would not risk the $400 over $20.  That's just being penny wise and
pound foolish.  Running a 100 volt unit at 120 volts, can't be good for the unit.

Regards,
Larry