Larry writes:

<< Since the voltage varies in different parts of the country, a person
living in
 an area were the voltage is 110 or less might be able to get away with it
for a
 while.  But the guy who lives in the 120 area is going to have problems
sooner
 or later.

 I know my Denon portable (Sharp MS200 clone) will not work without a stepdown
 transformer).  You get an error message on the LCD saying "Power?"

 Larry >>

There have been many reports of Sharp based units being very demanding about
having the exact power supplied to them.  My voltage is 120 (measured with a
DVM at the wall).  Can you think why my R-90 or R-900 wouldn't give the "Hi
DC in" error message they are capable of if the voltage is really a problem?
It seems to me, the manufacturer would only put this kind of message in if
they were able to detect when the voltage would cause damage.

Anyway, I suppose I haven't really put it to a rigorous test.  I usually use
an offline charger for the batteries.  Since getting the R-900 however, I
have recorded about 45 hours worth of material in the last 2 weeks using the
100V adapter and have not noticed any problems, no error messages, unit stays
stone cold (LP2 recording runs cooler as one might expect, 2 x the time for
heat to dissapate).  Do you really think there might be long term effects?

Regards,

Leland