It is true for your MT15. I don't know if it holds true for players, but all
recorders since the 701/2 (if not earlier) have this.

Sharp manuals recommend that when you want to use line out, to turn up to
full volume and turn the bass off. They also give both the headphones output
and a line output in the specs.

The new MT77, for instance:
phones: 5+5mW, 32 ohm
line out: 250mV at -12dB, 10k ohm

The MT831 also has the same line out spec (but 10+10mW, 16ohm for phones)

The two outputs can sound remarkably similar - I heard the Sony R90 is like
that.

Leon