Christopher Jackson wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > You can set some recorder to auto mode ( will start recording when there is
> > a signal) and put the timer on your receiver.

> However, I've had a concern:  Is it a bad idea to leave the md recorder in
> auto-start mode for an extended period--6 hours or more?  I assume the
> disk is spinning in this state, and wondered about wear.

It is my understanding that the disc only turns when there is something
to write to or from the  buffer.  If you listen real close when you are
recording, you can hear the disc start and stop.  If it is in standy by,
the unit jus tsort of sits there waiting to record something and the
mechanical parts shut down to conserve energy.

--
Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways